pátek 15. května 2015

New to HexChat & able to search in logs!

Few days ago I moved from Xchat to hexChat IRC client. Among it's cool feature I was hoping to find support for reading/searching channel/PM log files. Sometimes I remember "oh I was discussing it with this guy". Then I have to go to terminal, look for the right log file and go through it to find what I am looking for.


Fortunately, HexChat supports plugins and you can write in python (for people that do not talk C fluently). After few hours new plugin called greplog was born and maybe it is useful to you.

Installation is extra easy, just clone greplog from github and run install.sh this will copy the plugin to your hexchat profile and once you restart it, it should get loaded.

Usage is also extra easy. There are actually 2 commands available:

/greplog <pattern>

Runs in context of your current channel window, finds appropriate log file and (on linux) runs grep command passing by <pattern> argument

/chgreplog <channel|nick> <pattern>

Runs in context of your network/server, finds appropriate log file for given channel/nick and runs grep command passing by <pattern> argument. This may be helpful if you're looking for something that was mentioned in PM and you don't have corresponding chat window open.

That's it. If you find it useful, or would like to make my plugin more awesome, I am waiting for you.

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat